WEBSITES & SHOPPING CARTS
Patterns are the brain’s way of grouping liked things together. This is exampled in the order of content displayed on your website pages, or the way you present content and include a call-to-action each time. Patterns also connect the content on your website pages, and content that you choose to group together.
The structure and navigation of your pages can be inspired by patterns too – patterns of behaviour. For example, on a desktop computer, people are used to the navigation bar running across the top of your page, with the ‘home’ button being the first item (or hyperlinked to your logo). It’s ok to change this, but you must be wary as it’s a pre-existing method that people are used to.
Design is a plan for arranging elements in such a way as best to accomplish a particular purpose.
In 2006, Jakob Nielsen’s research team recorded the results of how 232 people looked at thousands of website pages. A pattern of behaviour for where their eyes looked at something on a page and for how long, and it was evident in the results that the more popular parts of a web page formed the shape of a capital letter “F”. This knowledge is useful as it can be translated to help your potential customers, and present your most important information and messages in these places.
Navigation is quite different on smartphones and tables, where people (majority being right handed) are using their thumbs to scroll down your website pages. The most common place for eyes to examine your pages is right down the middle. And the most common place for your navigational menu is to sit in the top-right spot of your pages. This is another helpful pattern to consider, as it will be an expectation of your potential customers.
6 essential steps to consider when planning your website
1. What is it you want your website to do for you? What is your strategy?
2. Do you have the ability to create it yourself, or is it better to contact a professional (like us) who knows what they are doing.
3. What do you need your website to do? Is it resource of information, or do you wish to sell products online.
4. Do you need help with writing content for your site? The right content and key words are essential for a good Google ranking.
5. Set goals to measure the performance of your website. Your SEO will be an important consideration here.
6. What if something catastrophic happens? How do you save your website?
View some of our recent case studies which include website design
- North Shore Coaching CollegeJanuary 27, 2022
- Louise BernardiJanuary 25, 2022
- Bungalow CoJanuary 25, 2022
- Face by Dr AlexJuly 28, 2020
- Mallavale FarmApril 28, 2020
- Recovery PartnersApril 27, 2020
- NSW Health: Everything for WomenApril 26, 2020
- Hannah Canine SanctuaryApril 26, 2020
- Civic Disability ServicesSeptember 10, 2019
- Own-a-Home TasmaniaMay 21, 2019
- toodle®May 21, 2019
- AIMACMay 17, 2019
- Coast to Coast School SuppliesMay 11, 2019
- Synapse Medical ServicesMay 11, 2019
- Latrobe Art AccommodationApril 16, 2019
- Rhuby InnovationsApril 11, 2019
- Experience Tasmania + Gray LineApril 6, 2019
- Adventure Bay RetreatApril 4, 2019
- Allegro FundsMarch 16, 2019
- Alexandra NeaMarch 16, 2019
- Tindale Family PracticeMarch 11, 2019
- Cherry Hill CoolstoresMarch 6, 2019
- Cake a HikeJanuary 11, 2019
- Retro RhinoNovember 17, 2018
- Gardners Bay Blueberries “Bloobs”November 11, 2018
- Devonfield EnterprisesNovember 6, 2018
- Blissful WayNovember 5, 2018
- JD FinsnickeriAugust 11, 2018
- LP EditingJuly 17, 2018
- BlokkerJuly 4, 2018
- Bellingen Valley Lodge MotelJune 16, 2018
- Organic TraderJune 11, 2018
- The Colour RoomMarch 6, 2018
- Nourish Kitchen + CaféNovember 16, 2017
- Feast + FossickNovember 11, 2017
- Concept Psychology ServicesJuly 16, 2017
- Mutts be Luv BarkeryJuly 11, 2017
- Macquarie PsychologyJuly 3, 2017
- Raadas PropertyDecember 11, 2016
- Northwest DentalSeptember 11, 2016
- MJ Miller ElectricalFebruary 11, 2016
- Your Market PlaceDecember 21, 2015
- Lifestyle ImagesOctober 11, 2014
- Diverge ConsultingSeptember 11, 2014
- LINI HomeMarch 10, 2014
- Moving Mind MountainsOctober 10, 2013